4.06.2010

Making Things

Because I am not teaching this quarter, my work duties are significantly reduced. I'd planned on using the time between teaching and Mr. T's arrival to get out a manuscript for review and work on transforming my dissertation into a book. I fantasized about this time all last quarter, while I was in the thick of work that comes with teaching two new courses. But now that this much-anticipated time has arrived, I realize that I neglected to take into account the extreme fatigue, distraction, and sometimes frenzied worry that comes along with an impending baby tsunami, that could - as my doctor recently said - come at any time now.

I decided a few days ago to stop beating myself up about not accomplishing these research goals. I trust that these will get done in due time. The present is an exciting time, and there really is a lot to do to prepare for baby's arrival. There are obvious things: the nursery (check) and baby basics (car seat, some clothes, and a diaper plan...check, check, check). But one thing that was high on my priority list was to paint him a painting. I began this late last week:



and finished today. I hope he likes it.

Another task I've been wanting to take on is making pierogies.


This weekend, Ryan and I did just that. With all of the guests we'll soon be having - and the time we'll be lacking - pierogies are the perfect food for the freezer. I made them from scratch using my great-grandma's recipe. I made two fillings: kraut and potato & cheese (which turned out the best).

And, unlike what I would normally do, I did not skimp on butter or cheese (despite knowing that this might ruin my "record-breaking" low blood pressure my doctor always comments on).






Ryan helped, some.


But I probably stuffed 100 of these puppies myself.







Of course, we ate some for dinner that night. We like them fried (more butter with my butter, please). They were pretty darned good. They tasted way better than any manuscript I could have produced for future publication. If you plan on visiting us soon or over the summer, you will likely be served up some pierogies at some point.

2 comments:

  1. We love the painting! and baby will too, because his momma made it!

    Love
    Kirsten and kids

    ReplyDelete